As this is the last of my blog posts for 2012 I thought I would give you a review of the year and highlight my personal view of events.
Over the past 12 months there have been many new products and innovations along with some updating of existing products.The trend for miniaturisation is continuing to grow, however we are still seeing many connectors seeing robust demand – these include USB, D-Types, IDC and Circular Mill Spec connectors.
The adage ‘if it isn’t broke don’t fix it’ seems to apply. That said, there have been a couple of notable developments this year including the 3M TwinAx and TE Connectivity’s Contactless connectors. Both of these are important developments in terms of what is being achieved at the limits of technology.
From a personal point of view the last 12 months have been more about the search for stability. While many manufacturers have been focusing on new technological developments, many have been identifying where the future trends are taking us and trying to deliver to that market.
No one knows what the future will bring, times are uncertain with world economies in flux, however I believe the future is a positive one and there will be many more exciting developments to come.
We do live in an exciting world of possibilities and I am looking forward to bringing these to you over the coming year.
Thank you for reading the Only Connect blogs – it is a labour of love and I am grateful for all the positive feedback I receive. I want to personally wish you the very best for 2013! Happy Holidays!
Previous Only Connect entries:
* Only Connect: New, contactless technology
* Only Connect: The future of interconnection
* Only Connect: IPC/WHMA-A-620 – Product innovation – Coaxicom adjustable RF Connector
* Only Connect: IPC/WHMA-A-620 – Revision B has been released
* Only Connect: Product Spotlight – IEC endorses four USB-IF standards
* Only Connect: Product Spotlight – Molex Minifit Jnr Connector series
* Only Connect: LVDS Cables, a simple guide
* Only Connect: 3M growing Twin Axial cable range
* Only Connect: On worldwide connector demand