Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1. Singlemode fiber has a ______ light-carrying core than multimode fiber.
C. Same size
2. What is the core size of singlemode fiber?
A. 5 mm
B. 9 microns
C. 50 microns
D. 63.5 microns 3. Singlemode fiber has ________ bandwidth than multimode fiber.
C. The same 4. What wavelengths are appropriate for use with multimode fiber?
A. 650 & 850 nm
B. 850 & 1300 nm
C. 850 & 1310 nm
D. 1310 & 1550 nm 5. The diameter of the core in OM2 and OM3 multimode fiber is how large?
A. 50 microns
B. 62.5 microns
C. 62.5 mm
D. 9 mm 6. Which of the following fiber specifications is most important to the user and is an important factor in testing?
C. Numerical aperture
D. Core-cladding concentricity 7. The largest contributor to fiber attenuation is ____________.
C. Bending losses
D. Microbends 8. Which fiber typically has the largest core?
B. Multimode Step Index
C. Multimode Graded Index
D. Singlemode 9. The loss of a multimode graded index fiber is greatest at _________.
A. 850 nm
B. 1300 nm
C. 1310 nm
D. 1550 nm 10. Which type of dispersion affects singlemode fiber as well as multimode fiber?
D. Polarization mode
Well done for completing the quiz, now go-ahead and post your answers as a comment below and I will announce the winner next week. Remember you will be the envy of all your fellow engineers and colleagues!
For completing this simple quiz, you now have the treat of this following video on fiber optics. Enjoy!
Previous Only Connect entries:
* Only Connect: A guide to fiber optics
* Only Connect: Product Technology - Cat 7 network cabling
* Only Connect: Carbon nanotubes - a new interconnection technology
* Only Connect: Ten things to consider when choosing a coax connector
* Only Connect: How to promote UK Manufacturing #4
* Only Connect: Renewable energy made in the UK (Going Green #5)
* Only Connect: Electronics and natural disasters
* Only Connect: A simple guide to DVI Connectors
* Only Connect: A Thunderbolt of innovation
* Only Connect: The golden principle of good design
* Only Connect: Common fiber connectors - a guide
* Only Connect: Product innovation - mixing signal
* Only Connect: IPC versus Greenpeace electronics scorecard
* Only Connect: Product innovation from Space
* Only Connect: Apple's MagSafe connector makes sense
* Only Connect: Coaxial connections guide
* Only Connect: Eco-gift for Christmas (Going Green #4)
* Only Connect: How to promote UK Manufacturing #3
* Only Connect: On using Ethernet connectors
* Only Connect: High-temp superconductors good news for renewable energy
* Only Connect: A positive mindset for winning government contracts
* Only Connect: A Top Ten of connector manufacturers
* Only Connect: Red toxic sludge points the way (Going Green #3)
* Only Connect: Handy Design Tips #4 - Explosion proof Ethernet
* Only Connect: We're changing the world into a better place, baby!
* Only Connect: Handy Design Tips #3 - The right wrong connector
* Only Connect: Proud of the Made In UK mark