Welcome to another post in the series by Nick Locke, of Nicab Ltd, who has over 15 years experience in the electronics manufacturing industry specialising in interconnection cable assembly.
Further to my previous blogs on promoting UK manufacturing, I believe that last week’s budget acknowledged we need more skilled engineers and more manufacturing, specifically with cutting edge technology. There is a major part for us in the Electronics community to play.
In response to the budget, Mike Wright an executive director at Jaguar Land Rover said they aim to add 1,000 engineers in the next 18 months as global demand recovers. Even though unemployment remains at about 8% there is still a shortage of skilled engineers.
Mr Wright argues the government needs to focus on delivering workers with the right skills and encouraging innovation.
Sir James Dyson’s said “it is very important that the government does interfere. Investing in R&D is very, very risky and the government can help slightly by skewing the taxation system to encourage the right behaviour”.
The point I am making is that there is no lack of innovation and business leaders willing to invest in engineers and the future of the UK electronics and manufacturing industries. If the government can help and encourage our sector then I truly believe we can once again regain our title as world leaders in technology and innovation.
We can not rely on government to support us as we have to identify the businesses and markets that can help us to realise our vision for a better future. However, a little more acknowledgement of the importance of our industry will not go unnoticed.
Previous Only Connect entries:
* Only Connect: Renewable energy made in the UK (Going Green #5)
* Only Connect: Electronics and natural disasters
* Only Connect: A simple guide to DVI Connectors
* Only Connect: A Thunderbolt of innovation
* Only Connect: The golden principle of good design
* Only Connect: Common fiber connectors – a guide
* Only Connect: Product innovation – mixing signal
* Only Connect: IPC versus Greenpeace electronics scorecard
* Only Connect: Product innovation from Space
* Only Connect: Apple’s MagSafe connector makes sense
* Only Connect: Coaxial connections guide
* Only Connect: Eco-gift for Christmas (Going Green #4)
* Only Connect: How to promote UK Manufacturing #3
* Only Connect: On using Ethernet connectors
* Only Connect: High-temp superconductors good news for renewable energy
* Only Connect: A positive mindset for winning government contracts
* Only Connect: A Top Ten of connector manufacturers
* Only Connect: Red toxic sludge points the way (Going Green #3)
* Only Connect: Handy Design Tips #4 – Explosion proof Ethernet
* Only Connect: We’re changing the world into a better place, baby!
* Only Connect: Handy Design Tips #3 – The right wrong connector
* Only Connect: Proud of the Made In UK mark
* Only Connect: Handy Design Tips #1 – Colour
* Only Connect: Better promoting the value of UK manufacturing