Welcome to another post in the series by Nick Locke, of Nicab Ltd, who has over 15 years experience in the electronics manufacturing industry specialising in interconnection cable assembly.
Molex Interconnect is supporting the University of Michigan Solar Car Team as they race against time to build their latest solar car for the World Solar Challenge 1,800 mile race in Australia.
The Team (UMsolar) is an entirely student-run organization that designs and builds solar-powered vehicles. The team races both nationally and internationally. Since its establishment in 1990, the team has built 10 vehicles, won the American Solar Challenge six times, and placed third in the World Solar Challenge four times. UMsolar is widely recognized as the most successful team in North America.
This fascinating project has seen some very interesting technological challenges along the way. I personally love these types of projects because what on the surface seems to be a fun way to use technology can and does turn into real technological advancement that will eventually come the fruition in commercial applications.
It is a very wise move by Molex to support this type of work as they keep their products as the forefront of innovation. This is all very similar to what Microsoft did to grow their business.
There are some cool videos you can watch >>
Perhaps if we had more sun in this country we would be doing more of these types of projects. In fact if we are then do let me know!
Previous Only Connect entries:
* Only Connect: Major positives for the connector industry – J.P Morgan
* Only Connect: Cisco on a winner with Universal Power Over Ethernet
* Only Connect: On the quality of materials
* Only Connect: Apple’s new doc connector
* Only Connect: Copyright in manufacturing
* Only Connect: Apple’s Thunderbolt Technology
* Only Connect: World Wide Top Cable Manufacturers
* Only Connect: Made in Britain for China (UK Manufacturing #5)
* Only Connect: The greening of electronics manufacturing (Going Green #7)
* Only Connect: On better manufacturing co-operation
* Only Connect – A small quiz on fiber optics
* Only Connect: A guide to fiber optics
* Only Connect: Product Technology – Cat 7 network cabling
* Only Connect: Carbon nanotubes – a new interconnection technology
* Only Connect: Ten things to consider when choosing a coax connector
* Only Connect: How to promote UK Manufacturing #4
* Only Connect: Renewable energy made in the UK (Going Green #5)
* Only Connect: Electronics and natural disasters
* Only Connect: A simple guide to DVI Connectors
* Only Connect: A Thunderbolt of innovation
* Only Connect: The golden principle of good design
* Only Connect: Common fiber connectors – a guide