The bigger the company the more pressure is put on them to show how much they care and want to make a positive difference. So let's look at who's been doing what in the connector industry to benefit the environment...
...Now, that's how the blog was supposed to go. However, after spending a lot of time searching for manufacturers with credible eco credentials, I was only able to find the following.
- Tyco Electronics, has just signed the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), further reinforcing the company's commitment to corporate responsibility and ethical business practices around the world.
- Molex has received the Earth Flag award from SCARCE (School & Community Assistance for Recycling & Composting Education), a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the DuPage County, Illinois community about conservation and recycling. The award-winning Earth Flag Certification Program was developed by SCARCE to help businesses become more environmentally responsible.
- Alpha Wire's new EcoWire is the latest innovation in hook-up wire. A true engineering breakthrough, EcoWire achieves increased performance in a wire that is fully recyclable.
EcoWire derives its advantage from its unique insulation, a modified polyphenylene ether (mPPE) thermoplastic. mPPE-based insulation is non-halogenated and contains no heavy metal pigments, allowing it to help manufacturers meet Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) requirements.
I expected to find many more awards and plaudits given to big companies rewarding their efforts. I would at this point welcome a correction so any reader that knows of a manufacturer with credible eco awards please do let me know.
It is true everyone has great environmental policies and big statements on their websites but anyone can write an environmental policy with key values. I like to see real measurable action.
So go-ahead let me know who else is doing great work out there!
Previous Only Connect entries:
* Only Connect: Molex and the Solar powered vehicle
* Only Connect: Major positives for the connector industry - J.P Morgan
* Only Connect: Cisco on a winner with Universal Power Over Ethernet
* Only Connect: On the quality of materials
* Only Connect: Apple's new doc connector
* Only Connect: Copyright in manufacturing
* Only Connect: Apple's Thunderbolt Technology
* Only Connect: World Wide Top Cable Manufacturers
* Only Connect: Made in Britain for China (UK Manufacturing #5)
* Only Connect: The greening of electronics manufacturing (Going Green #7)
* Only Connect: On better manufacturing co-operation
* Only Connect - A small quiz on fiber optics
* Only Connect: A guide to fiber optics
* Only Connect: Product Technology - Cat 7 network cabling
* Only Connect: Carbon nanotubes - a new interconnection technology
* Only Connect: Ten things to consider when choosing a coax connector
* Only Connect: How to promote UK Manufacturing #4
* Only Connect: Renewable energy made in the UK (Going Green #5)
* Only Connect: Electronics and natural disasters
* Only Connect: A simple guide to DVI Connectors
* Only Connect: A Thunderbolt of innovation
* Only Connect: The golden principle of good design
* Only Connect: Common fiber connectors - a guide