Welcome to another post in the series by Nick Locke, of Nicab Ltd, who has over 15 years experience in the electronics manufacturing industry specialising in interconnection cable assembly.
It has been said, by no less of a philosopher than Kermit the Frog, that it ain’t easy being green. However, for many forward thinkers the very idea of being green is essential to the survival of the human race. For others it is a vague thing that, yeah, maybe it’s going to be a problem if we don’t protect the environment some day.
There is also another set of people who are thinking, “I’m worried about the environment but my job involves making things, so we perpetuate the problem of taking natural resources from the earth.”
This is something that I used to think about a lot, but the secret to an easy conscience is knowing that you can do something positive that will help the environment and save the earth’s precious natural resources.
You’ll notice I have not mentioned connectors or interconnects yet, but rest assured I will. I think electronics manufacturing is the very best industry to be in right now. In my view the greenest.
The products we are working on now are more efficient, greener, smaller and take fewer natural resources than ever before. What is more, in the future we will get better and better at making technology work for us.
With this in mind, here are a few products out now that have been used in real, environmentally-friendly applications:
Previous Only Connect entries:
* Only Connect: On better manufacturing co-operation
* Only Connect – A small quiz on fiber optics
* Only Connect: A guide to fiber optics
* Only Connect: Product Technology – Cat 7 network cabling
* Only Connect: Carbon nanotubes – a new interconnection technology
* Only Connect: Ten things to consider when choosing a coax connector
* Only Connect: How to promote UK Manufacturing #4
* Only Connect: Renewable energy made in the UK (Going Green #5)
* Only Connect: Electronics and natural disasters
* Only Connect: A simple guide to DVI Connectors
* Only Connect: A Thunderbolt of innovation
* Only Connect: The golden principle of good design
* Only Connect: Common fiber connectors – a guide
* Only Connect: Product innovation – mixing signal
* Only Connect: IPC versus Greenpeace electronics scorecard
* Only Connect: Product innovation from Space
* Only Connect: Apple’s MagSafe connector makes sense
* Only Connect: Coaxial connections guide
* Only Connect: Eco-gift for Christmas (Going Green #4)
* Only Connect: How to promote UK Manufacturing #3
* Only Connect: On using Ethernet connectors
* Only Connect: High-temp superconductors good news for renewable energy
* Only Connect: A positive mindset for winning government contracts
* Only Connect: A Top Ten of connector manufacturers
* Only Connect: Red toxic sludge points the way (Going Green #3)
* Only Connect: Handy Design Tips #4 – Explosion proof Ethernet
* Only Connect: We’re changing the world into a better place, baby!