The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (8th edition) is now coming to Android Devices, announces Oxford University Press and Paragon Software, the developers.
They describe it as the “best-selling print dictionary for English learners and their teachers” and the app provides full-sentence pronunciations, and 1,300 illustrations to explain words and expand vocabulary. A customizable My View allows users to decide what information they want to see, and to find it more easily. It requires Android OS 1.6 or higher.
Features of the app include:
· 184,500 words, phrases and meanings.
· 116,000 spoken example sentences – in both British English and American English accents and recorded by native speakers.
· 1,300 individual and group images.
· Integrated thesaurus provides thousands of synonyms and lists of collocations (words that go together) to build vocabulary.
· Use My View to choose how much information appears on your screen – hide IPA, example sentences, pictures, synonyms, etc. – tap to show the full entry again. Define your customized view in Settings.
· Change the app appearance: customizable background colour, font size, search results highlighting etc.
· Multitasking features for uninterrupted dictionary use: run the dictionary in the background so you can translate from web pages, emails and applications, or compose email messages in English.
· ‘Did you mean…?’ function and wildcard search allow you to find a word even if you don’t know the spelling.
· Full dictionary search allows users to find the word in idioms and phrasal verbs.
· Find additional information about many words – including verb forms, culture, example bank, synonyms, collocations, etc. – using the menu.
· No on-going Internet connection required (for headword audio only): simply download the dictionary once and use it on your device without any additional wi-fi expense or availability issues. (Full sound databases can be downloaded from the Settings screen, which require an Internet connection).
· Tap on any unknown word in an entry to look it up.
· Search history can be viewed or deleted.
· Create your own list of favourite words.
· Detailed help file (available directly from the app)
Previous Android Applications in Focus: