Hsuer's criteria for judging a business plan are:
1. There's got to be a real need for that product or service;
2. There's got to be a large market with high growth rate;
3. There has to be at least one star in the team;
4. There has to be defensible (i.e. legally protectable) technology;
5. It has to fit the partnership business model."
In terms of personal qualities he looks for: "Enthusiasm. The fire in the belly. Unless people have a tremendous amount of energy, they will not get over the hiccups there will invariably be."
After that come: "A fine brain, business nous, a team-building capability, and a good idea - a good business idea."