4G auction going, going, going, gone…
The 4G auction is over, and the results are in, and it’s not great news for the Chancellor…
A total of 250 MHz of spectrum was auctioned in two separate bands, reports David Manners – 800 MHz and 2.6 GHz. This is equivalent to two-thirds of the radio frequencies currently used by wireless devices such as tablets, smartphones and laptops.
- EE bought 2 x 5 MHz of 800MHz and 2 x 35MHz of 2.6GHz for £589m
- 3G bought 2 x 5 MHz of 800MHz for £225m
- Niche Spectrum Venture bought 2 x 15 MHz of 2.6GHz and 1 x 20 MHz of 2.6GHz (unpaired) for £186m.
- Telefonica bought 2 x 10 MHz of 800MHz for £550m
- Vodafone bought 2 x 5 MHz of 800MHz, 2x 20 MHz of 2.6GHz and 1 x 25 MHz of 2.6GHz (unpaired) for £791m.