The official ElectronicsWeekly.com website blog, highlighting new features, content, and initiatives on the site.
Only Connect – A small quiz on fiber optics
To complete my series of guides to fiber optics I am now going to give you a small quiz! There is no prize for your efforts, however, if you are brave enough to post your answers as a Comment below, I will give you a hero’s reception in my next blog.
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1. Singlemode fiber has a ______ light-carrying core than multimode fiber.
C. Same size
A. 5 mm
B. 9 microns
C. 50 microns
D. 63.5 microns
3. Singlemode fiber has ________ bandwidth than multimode fiber.
C. The same
4. What wavelengths are appropriate for use with multimode fiber?
A. 650 & 850 nm
B. 850 & 1300 nm
C. 850 & 1310 nm
D. 1310 & 1550 nm
5. The diameter of the core in OM2 and OM3 multimode fiber is how large?
A. 50 microns
B. 62.5 microns
C. 62.5 mm
D. 9 mm
6. Which of the following fiber specifications is most important to the user and is an important factor in testing?
C. Numerical aperture
D. Core-cladding concentricity
7. The largest contributor to fiber attenuation is ____________.
C. Bending losses
8. Which fiber typically has the largest core?
B. Multimode Step Index
C. Multimode Graded Index
9. The loss of a multimode graded index fiber is greatest at _________.
A. 850 nm
B. 1300 nm
C. 1310 nm
D. 1550 nm
10. Which type of dispersion affects singlemode fiber as well as multimode fiber?
D. Polarization mode
Well done for completing the quiz, now go-ahead and post your answers as a comment below and I will announce the winner next week. Remember you will be the envy of all your fellow engineers and colleagues!
For completing this simple quiz, you now have the treat of this following video on fiber optics. Enjoy!
Previous Only Connect entries: