Only Connect: New product design – InfiniBand CXP 12x QDR standard
Welcome to another post in the series by Nick Locke, of Nicab Ltd, who has over 15 years experience in the electronics manufacturing industry specialising in interconnection cable assembly.
Just when you thought we could not go any faster TE Connectivity goes ahead and produces the all new and improved InfiniBand CXP 12x QDR standard and IEEE 100 Gbps Ethernet specification.
The system offers 12 channels of 10 Gbps data rates for 120 Gbps of total bandwidth in a one-piece press-fit assembly. The TE CXP system complies with InfiniBand CXP 12x QDR and IEEE 100 Gbps Ethernet standards. It also offers a complement of fiber optic cable assemblies with CXP fiber paths to interconnect CXP transceivers to CXP, QSFP+ and SFP+ transceivers.
As many of you know I’m a big fan of fiber optic connectivity (see my previous blog posts
) so this to me is everything that is both good design and good for the customer because the investment in these systems last a long time.
What I specifically think people will like about this new system is the multi-channel approach. It’s like taking a multi pair cooper and using these principles to make a fiber lead. With not having the usual cross talk and signal degradation issues these fiber leads will outstrip the nearest copper equivalents.
I know that the initial cost of the equipment is much higher than copper-based systems but just take a minute to think about how long it will be before you are upgrading those copper interconnects. The fiber will out-live the copper by years.
What is more because of the way that fiber works fault finding on the network is easier because it generally works or it does not. Where as copper can over time have connection fatigue.
Previous Only Connect entries:
* Only Connect: HDMI Connections a simple guide
* Only Connect: New investment in the motor industry’s high-end
* Only Connect: My personal connector top ten
* Only Connet: Marine manufacturing and growth
* Only Connect: The RS Connector zone
* Only Connect: The Eco Award goes to…? (Going Green #8)
* Only Connect: Molex and the Solar powered vehicle
* Only Connect: Major positives for the connector industry – J.P Morgan
* Only Connect: Cisco on a winner with Universal Power Over Ethernet
* Only Connect: On the quality of materials
* Only Connect: Apple’s new doc connector
* Only Connect: Copyright in manufacturing
* Only Connect: Apple’s Thunderbolt Technology
* Only Connect: World Wide Top Cable Manufacturers
* Only Connect: Made in Britain for China (UK Manufacturing #5)
* Only Connect: The greening of electronics manufacturing (Going Green #7)
* Only Connect: On better manufacturing co-operation
* Only Connect: A small quiz on fiber optics
* Only Connect: A guide to fiber optics