Featuring homemade electronic gadgets, the latest in development boards (Arduino, BeagleBoard, Raspberry Pi, etc), examples of cool design, and the latest and greatest (and most shiny) consumer gadgets.
Reusing retired gadgetry for home automation
Thanks to Jimmy C for highlighting this one – Top 10 Ways to Turn Your Retired Gadgetry into the Technology of the Future
Retro technology with a green twist (re-use is always better than recycle). What’s not to like?
For example, #9 is Create a Wireless Internet Radio from an Old Router (pictured). Adam Dachis writes:
Radios and routers aren’t exactly technology of the future – more of the past and present, really – but when you combine them with the internet you’ve suddenly got a pretty awesome device for streaming music. The process isn’t even that complicated. All you really need is a particular wireless router (the Asus WL-520GU is recommended in this case) and a USB sound card. Pretty neat.
Other ideas include:
- Turn an Old Computer into an XBMC Home Theater PC
- Use an Old PC Fan to Create a Battery-Charging Wind Turbine
- Turn an Old Mobile Device into a Dedicated VOIP Handset
- Turn an Old Projector into a Book Scanner
- Make a Touchscreen Tablet Out of an Old Netbook
- Build a Cellphone-Powered Robot