Reusing retired gadgetry for home automation
Thanks to Jimmy C for highlighting this one – Top 10 Ways to Turn Your Retired Gadgetry into the Technology of the Future
Retro technology with a green twist (re-use is always better than recycle). What’s not to like?
For example, #9 is Create a Wireless Internet Radio from an Old Router (pictured). Adam Dachis writes:
Radios and routers aren’t exactly technology of the future – more of the past and present, really – but when you combine them with the internet you’ve suddenly got a pretty awesome device for streaming music. The process isn’t even that complicated. All you really need is a particular wireless router (the Asus WL-520GU is recommended in this case) and a USB sound card. Pretty neat.
Other ideas include:
- Turn an Old Computer into an XBMC Home Theater PC
- Use an Old PC Fan to Create a Battery-Charging Wind Turbine
- Turn an Old Mobile Device into a Dedicated VOIP Handset
- Turn an Old Projector into a Book Scanner
- Make a Touchscreen Tablet Out of an Old Netbook
- Build a Cellphone-Powered Robot