The world of motor racing may have to re-examine its electrical safety rules if it turns out the powerful regenerative batteries of Formula 1′s Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) were implicated in a pit lane fire at the Barcelona Grand Prix yesterday.
Reader submissions to Made By Monkeys are always welcome, so many thanks to “Mr. C” for sending us this one concerning a suspect LED torch, which wasn’t smokin’, it was actually smoking. He highlights the apparently false safety certification on the torch, CE marking etc…
Falling within the purview of “good ideas, bad execution”, here’s an interesting article that tries to take an overview of what makes a platform fail, when it comes to mobile devices. And there have been a lot of failed platforms…
It caught my eye, on Engadget, that Sony is in the process of checking some of its prestige Bravia LCD TVs – a component has been found to overheat, potentially causing the TV to ignite. The models are all LCDs and have been sold in Europe since June 2007.
Sony is standing in Recall Corner, reports PC Pro. Sony has warned that certain VAIO laptops could overheat after the discovery of a temperature gauge error.
The manufacturer of the Targus Universal Wall Power Adapter for laptops – Comarco – is the latest entrant to our Recall Corner, and the power theme continues.
“FORCE’s EMF-7 compound provides mains with a stable molecular structure. Each threephase system is divided into four modules R,S,T,N. The weak electric current generated by EMF-7 (0,06-0,09 mA) extends the FORCE system lifespan by 30-100 years.”
“Found this box lying around work. It’s quite a powerful charger at 16,000 mA but I really don’t think it will be any match for my 16,000,000 μA charger I have at home.”