Switch Failure in Maytag Fridge Causes Kitchen Mayhem

EDN Editor and Blogger Paul Rako seems to have the same sort of luck that I do — we both are constantly under seige by an army of appliances from Hell. In his latest battlefield skirmish chronicled in his Anablog blog, he describes how a failed override switch in his Maytag refrigerator brought a whole new meaning to the term “automatic ice dispenser.”

1. max
    November 15, 2013 18:03

What a nightmare so many problems so many different companies and engineers all for the sake of one fridge might has well call out a bloke with a hammer and a blow torch or the local fire brigade in that we have being having ongoing problems with ours has well had to email manufacturer directly in the us before they gave us the name of service company in London Uk agsrefrigeration they managed to come out and fix the fault. I would think twice before purchasing one of these appliances again.

2. Dawn
    November 29, 2012 16:19

Our Maytag fridge freezer has also stopped making ice cubes, though it does make icicles inside the ‘frost free’ freezer though. Four Maytag engineers have been out to try to fix it. One of them said this was a common fault and a heater had been designed to heat the water feed pipe to the ice-maker tray, which freezes and then doesn’t work. The whole fridge had to be defrosted for two days, and it still doesn’t produce any ice and has started to freeze up again.
    I can’t find specialist engineer who will write me a report on headed paper to say what the problem is so that i can get a full refund. This is not advanced technology at all which is how they advertise there fridge freezers. I will never buy one again.
    Any independent refrigeration engineers out there, who have experience of the Maytag fridge freezer problem model MSS20CG114 who can produce a report for my credit card company so I can get a full refund under section 75 of the consumer act? Post code BN3

3. February 11, 2010 16:01

We inherited a Maytag side-by-side fridge/freezer when we bought our house in France. The F/F must be 5 years old or so, the ice maker stopped working and the electrical panel heated up. An engineer pointed out that a moving part in the panel had become snagged and could not move and therefore was heating up with the effort of trying to operate.
    No luck in finding a parts suplier to replace the panel. We afre managing without the ice cube maker, and use an old fashioned plastic tray in the freezer instead for the gin and tonics etc
    Will look to replace the Maytag some time next year, but not with a whirlpool or maytag.

4. M MacGregor
    January 28, 2009 17:13

We have a Maytag side by side, c7yrs old which has stopped making ice cubes..?
    No problem with random acts of ice dispensing though.
    Anyone know what this might be? Simple problem or repair job?

5. Dave
    January 04, 2009 23:38

On my Maytag side by side I’m currently on the second adaptive defrost control and third dispenser control board. The first dispenser control failed by spewing water over the kitchen floor. The second failed two days after installation and the third has just failed today. What a piece of crap. I’ll never buy another Maytag appliance.

6. Joy Cooke
    October 09, 2008 09:23

I too bought a Maytag, on recommendation, at a very high price in order to get the best and not have to worry. I have had no serious issues until now and guess what – the water dispenser floods the kitchen at will and since stopping it we are now completely frosted up (hair dryer it is then). I rang an engineer who groaned and said ‘don’t tell me; it’s four or five years old and don’t tell me the problem I’ll tell you – it’s the water dispenser’. He refused to get involved. What does that say? As for safety issues? Time for action.

7. Julie Currie
    July 17, 2008 12:58

I have a Maytag side by side fridge/freezer and it is now the third time that it has started spewing out water all by itself. I have had the parts replaced twice before under warranty. Now it has happened again and is out of warranty and they are quoting £135.00 call out plus parts etc but cannot quote for the parts until they see the fault!!! If they repair it thay will only cover the parts for 30 days and if they need to visit again you will have to pay the labour costs. There customer service is dreadful and would not recommend anyone to buy a maytag appliance. When I bought it we paid much more that others on the market thinking we would get top quality appliance and service but it is quite the opposite. Their products should come with a warning WARNING DONT BUY MAYTAG

8. Ronnie Sloane
    June 10, 2008 11:42

I have a four year old Whirlpool American style fridge freezer which has been nothing but trouble since we bought it.
    Main problems seem to be the reliability of the electronic panels which keep needing to be replaced and the temperature controls which see
    m to be designed in to be inadequate when the ambient temperature warms up to 30-35 C.
    The repair guys don’t know what to tell me any more but just look very sheepish.
    I believe that Whirlpool have fundamentat design pronlems with this appliance- does anyone out there agree ?

9. Ronnie Sloane
    June 10, 2008 11:41

Main problems seem to be the reliability of the electronic panels which keep needing to be replaced and the temperature controls which swwm to be designed in to be inadequate when the amnient temperature warms up to 30-35 C.

10. Mary Lou Crouch
    June 08, 2008 14:55

This morning (6/8/08), my husband discovered the front panel of our Maytag Ice20 refrigerator was going beserk–all lights flashing and water/ice door flapping open and shut. We checked the manual for troubleshooting–nothing. I searched the internet–took about 5 seconds to find all the complaints about this refrigerator. I went to the CPSC.gov page but could find no recall; I am filing a complaint. In some of the complaints I have read, I found mention of a possible class action lawsuit–has anyone started one?
    I am calling Maytag/Whirlpool in the morning but my appliance is out of warrenty and there is no recall on it so I guess I will have to pay to have this repaired. This sucks! I used to have confidence in the Maytag brand but no more–I’ll never buy Maytag/Whirlpool/Sears Kenmore again.
    I also have a Maytag front load washer that had to be repaired shortly after being installed–computer components went bad–luckily that was under warrenty. I checked and my model of washer is not on the recall list.

11. rosemary hard
    May 30, 2008 10:59

Like Irene Thompson, we too bought a Maytag side by side fridge/freezer and have exactly the same problem. My husband has to defrost it every day with a hairdryer to stop the frost build-up. Luckily, he is a Chartered electrical/electronic engineer and is going to design a fix as the fridge is now out of warranty and it will cost a fortune to get it repaired .. but with what? another dodgy piece of equipment? This problem has all the traits of being a design fault. Maytag had such a good name too – such a shame they are now content with letting things get so bad? I didn’t know that Whirlpool had bought them out so what does that say about Whirlpool?

12. Irene Thompson
    April 27, 2008 23:45

I have a Maytag MZD2768GEW side-by-side refrigerater, bought about 4 or 5 years ago, repaired once for the problem that now is happening: the defrost unit doesn’t stay on top of its job, ice builds up, the refrigerator warms, the ice melts, food gets warm, the floor is flooded. The latest twist: a piece of ice caught in the fan, resulting in two days of horrible noise. Eventually the ice melted, leaving a puddle. It seems to me that having ice or water in the wrong place in an electrical appliance is not a safe practice. BTW, the panel in back that covers the working parts is made of cardboard! Talk about cutting corners.
    Today I am mailing a second complaint to Maytag (now Whirlpool), cc’d to two professional refrigeration societies and to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Wish me luck! Next step: picket the store.

13. Irene Thompson
    April 27, 2008 23:45

14. Irene Thompson
    April 27, 2008 23:45

15. Irene Thompson
    April 27, 2008 23:45

16. Irene Thompson
    April 27, 2008 23:45

17. JRHaggis
    April 26, 2008 00:37

Those are really incredible stories. Have you ever looked at the schematic/mechanics of a refrigerator? There’s not a whole heck of a lot going on there. How did they manage to screw it up so badly? Oh, I’m an engineer and I work with engineers. I know how you screw it up so badly — gotta get this design out, no time to really test it, gotta get it into production, etc. No time to talk to someone who knows anything about temperature fluctuations and materials, just “stick some O-rings in there”. (Famous last words, in paraphrase I’m sure.)

18. Linda Friedman
    February 17, 2008 14:30

I awake Sunday morning to find my husband has wrapped the base of our Maytag plus double door with towels, put all our frozen foods on the frig side and is mopping the floor. The water dispenser started working by itself… The basement is flooded and some of the food is trapped in the freezer by the ice flow created from this defect. What happens when you are away and this sort of malady plagues your home?
    Back to clean up – I’m not happy with Maytag.
    Linda

19. Max Dangler
    February 10, 2008 22:01

I bought my Maytag Plus 5 years ago, this past Saturday after a breakfast my family went to the basement to watch some TV, I started to smell something burning went to investigate & the smell was coming from the Frige, I opened the back up & the relay switch was burt to a crisp, I am really angry especially that this is a safety issue & my family’s live was at stake from a unreliable magnufacture that needs to be put in their place.
    I will make sure to report the to CPSC.gov..
    MAX

20. Mike Riegert
    October 19, 2007 13:21

I am a forensic investigator that looks into this for the insurance industry. Whenever you have a problem like this, please contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission ( CPSC.gov) They keep track of these types of things. If they get anough, they will force a recall. I have had several of these as well.
    Mike Riegert
    Fond du Lac, WI

21. Florents malo
    July 26, 2007 19:28

our maytag plus, also did the same thing with the micro switch and burned the switch up causing a lot of smoke and smell. I bitched at the company, they said it’s out of warrantee, I’m not happy. It could of been a fire hazard if we didn’t here it at 3:00 in the morning with ice pouring all over the floor. I would say it is a manufacturing malfunction. It could lead to lawsuits. There should be a product recall or repair on this. Thanks

22. July 07, 2007 01:22

Maytag had issues with their Neptune front load washers, too.

23. Jon Pippard
    July 05, 2007 10:27

Our Maytag ice maker has a micro switch operated by a square plastic peg in a square plastic hole. This of course periodically gets stuck with the result an unstoppable cascade of ice. Can’t say we have discovered the auto-on function yet but we certainly have discovered the latching function…..