made-by-monkeys2

Good ideas with bad execution, or good execution of what should be bad ideas - an analysis of inferior, off-beat or malfunctioning products, and how other people's failures can help us design better stuff.

I can’t believe someone makes… 24 carat gold plated fuses

24-carat-gold-fuse.jpg

Is there no limit to an audiophile’s pursuit of perfection? I know this is the intended audience, but I still can’t believe someone makes 24 Carat gold plated fuses!

Thanks to T3.com for flagging this one. I suspect high-fidelity-gone-mad may be a rich seam.

Called Audi Grade Fuses, these are made by ISO Clean Power.

Could you really hear the difference? Or would it be an over-active imagination? The company’s website states:

It is well understood by most hi-fi lovers that a steady and clear power supply can raise the performance of hi-fi equipments significantly. However, the importance of good quality Audio Grade Fuse has always been neglected. Fuses always carry high electric current thereby easily causing metal fatigue. This would then adversely alter the conductivity behavior of the fuse element and hence the performance of the equipment.

The new ISOCLEAN POWER Fuse is 24K gold plated. Not only its metallic holder has been specially treated, each and every fuse has also been accurately measured and checked in order to bring your equipment to the highest standard.

Would you be the Man With The Golden Fuse?

Previous I can’t believe posts:

* I can’t believe someone makes… Klingon keyboards

* I can’t believe someone makes… Armadillo Breadbins

1. December 16, 2009 14:38

Thanks for that one, Mike

2. Mike
    December 16, 2009 13:14

There’s a simpler, cheaper and better way to avoid contact corrosion with plugtop fuses – don’t use them, just solder (with silver solder if you like) fusewire between the contacts in the plug…

3. Gary Casper
    November 18, 2009 18:01

I’m constantly amazed by the power of advertising. They speak about improving conductivity, but they fail to mention that copper is a better conductor than gold. (Gold is aprox 2.24 x 10 -8 ohms/meter, copper is aprox 1.72 x 10-8 ohms/meter. See EngineeringToolbox.com) However I will agree that gold looks better and will provide better protection against corrosion.

4. Steve Waite
    November 18, 2009 14:00

Contact resistance… I used to fix failing computers (very early LSI ones) by cleaning the fuses and contacts. Resoldering power posts etc. helped as well. Looking on a scope you could clearly witness the noise floor lower. Consequently the computer started to compute again with the power supply cleaned up. So Yep I expect they work for Hi Fi in terms of not needing cleaning but you will need a decent type of HiFi (e.g. Linn) to notice anything.

5. Nigel
    November 18, 2009 11:32

I actually use these fuses, but not for audio.
    As Chris pointed out, they’re corrosion resistant, and they were supplied with a heavy-duty marine battery charger. So the gold stops them corroding, but then again I’m not so sure about the rest of the charger!
    Maybe they could be used as geeky jewellery?

6. Chris
    November 18, 2009 11:23

There is some justification for gold plated fuses per se- corrosion resistance and in the case of little ones in surface mount holders, not sticking to the holder during solder reflow.
    Otherwise, YAAAAWWWWWNNNNN, here we go again and similar thoughts.
    I’ll bet they cast a lot more than a few microns of gold flash would justify, too!

7. November 18, 2009 11:22

I’m guessing you won’t be joining the queue to buy these, Lawrence!

8. November 18, 2009 11:18

Excellent, Alan – that made me laugh. “Yes, that one did work”
    Almost philosophical, too: How much is too much? There’s only one way to find out…

9. Lawrence Mayes
    November 18, 2009 11:17

“Fuses always carry high electric current thereby easily causing metal fatigue.”
    Three things I never knew:
    1. Fuses always carry high current (even those rated at 50 mA).
    2. Electric current causes metal fatigue.
    3. Gold plating prevents metal fatigue.
    Any evidence for current causing metal fatigue or gold preventing it?

10. Allan Gardner
    November 18, 2009 11:15

“each and every fuse has also been accurately measured and checked” – reminds me when I worked in an electronics lab. Folks would come to get fuses tested, so one guy made a ‘Fuse Checker’, that blew the fuse and gave a readout at what current it blew at.
    He usually gave the answer, “Yes – that one worked!”
    Well, it kept us amused ;)