made-by-monkeys2

Good ideas with bad execution, or good execution of what should be bad ideas - an analysis of inferior, off-beat or malfunctioning products, and how other people's failures can help us design better stuff.

I can’t believe someone makes… Electric paper plane launchers

electric-paper-plance-launcher-kit.jpgI can’t, I really can’t, believe that someone makes an electric paper plane launcher. It saves the effort of using the old arm, I appreciate that. But really…

Apparently the device will launch a well-made paper airplane at speeds up to 50km/hour, and you can buy them on Amazon for £9.95.

Note that it carries Science Museum branding and royalties from the sale of the product help fund the venerable London museum.

Contents: base plate, battery box, rubber ring and disc, terminal box, screw and nut, motor, pulley, red connecting sleeve, wire, sucker, sticky pad, and detailed instructions with fun facts.

Previous I can’t believe posts:

* I can’t believe someone makes… A wooden MacBook

* I can’t believe someone makes… Rubik’s Cube Calendars

* I can’t believe someone makes… A mobile phone shaver

* I can’t believe someone makes… An LED messaging mouse

* I can’t believe someone makes… Swarovski Crystal LCD TVs

* I can’t believe someone makes… Glowing writstballs

* I can’t believe someone makes… Klingon keyboards

* I can’t believe someone makes… Armadillo Breadbins

1. Tolak
    July 29, 2009 12:21

Why isn’t this USB powered?
    You could record the results of the aircraft testing on your computer, then….

2. Nikki
    July 01, 2009 11:40

This reminded me of a visit to Making It in Mansfield near Nottingham – as fabulous place for kids. Included in the price it a making it kit (one of which is a plane launcher) but I thought you might like to see some of the other things you could be making
    or here http://www.makingit.org.uk/docs/Education_ResourcePackNew.pdf starting on page 19

3. June 03, 2009 12:12

Once bitten…, Graham. I know what you mean. Brand association can be a two-edged sword. It does raise an issue of quality control, however pressing the need to raise additional revenue may be…

4. June 03, 2009 12:09

Yimmy – good point. These impossibly subjective things do need a neutral judge. Arm wrestling, conkers… I’d like someone try to get an electronic element into those!

5. Graham Rounce
    June 03, 2009 11:50

Unfortunately the Science Museum has next to no integrity when it come to what overpriced merchandise it lends its name to.
    I bought a “Create A Night Sky” ( http://www.sciencemuseumstore.com/mall/productpage.cfm/ScienceMuseumStore/197625 ) and it was completely disappointing crap. Ok, it was only £10, but the effect wasn’t worth 10p. I didn’t expect that from the SM, but I know better now.

6. yimmy
    June 02, 2009 15:00

I see this being used for paper airplane contests where an impartial judge would be needed as the thrower….