made-by-monkeys2

Good ideas with bad execution, or good execution of what should be bad ideas - an analysis of inferior, off-beat or malfunctioning products, and how other people's failures can help us design better stuff.

I can’t believe someone makes… Glowing writstballs

wrist-ball-2.jpgHere’s the third entry in our ‘I can’t believe someone makes…‘ series. Following the Klingon Keyboard and the Armadillo Breadbin is the glowing wristball.

Also known as the Power Ball or Strength Ball, the LED-based device is aimed at tennis, golf and badminton players, and the name of the game is to strengthen your grip.

Shake to light, and the more you shake the heavier it gets, apparently.

“A limp handshake isn’t the first impression you want someone to have of you. Get yourself one of these amazing Wrist balls and after a few training sessions, you’ll be well on your way to the bone-breaking handshake of your dreams,” writes the Paramounzone website.

“Are you man enough to reach 10,000 RPM?” the site asks.

They’re yours for the bargain price of £7.99.

Watch the video, but no jokes about the man’s wrist action, please.

Previous I can’t believe posts:

Tags: badminton players, lamborghini, manila rope, name of the game, toilets

1. July 27, 2009 17:36

I can’t believe someone makes… Wi-Fi detector baseball caps

This time, I can’t believe someone makes Wi-Fi detector baseball caps. Where to begin? How about with the fact that you can’t see the signal strength indicator up on your own bunce… you’d have to take it off to look at it in your hand. Doh!

2. April 09, 2009 21:44

Thanks, John. Interesting. There is more to it than meets the eye. Other people have admired the wristball, too.
    Think of the series as gentle ribbing – “derision” sounds rather harsh.

3. JohnE
    April 09, 2009 11:56

Actually, these devices are really clever, using gyroscopic precession to accelerate the central rotor. The user action isn’t so much shaking (apart from the initial flick to get the rotor moving, although you’ll probably have to use a pull cord until you’re a real expert) but rather more like stirring an increasingly viscous pudding, with a long stick, in ever decreasing circles. You really do have to try one to ‘get it’ but the load they can generate is quite phenomenal, and the turbine-like whine they generate as they accelerate is like listening to a jet turbine spool up! I’d rate these as a top tech toy rather than an object of derision.

4. March 30, 2009 13:14

Most Read in March – The Made By Monkeys popularity stakes

Here’s a roundup of the most popular Made By Monkeys posts in in March – see what your peers are reading!

5. March 26, 2009 23:21

Ruaraidh, the series is just a bit of fun. What struck us as funny in the office was the idea that the ball doesn’t really do anything, you just shake it, and it’s electrical… strengthening your arm never seemed much like fun! (I’m a Sheffield Wedneday supporter, so I know what fun isnt!)

6. Ruaraidh Gillies
    March 26, 2009 09:59

My wife bought me one for Christmas. Great fun, once you get the hang of it. And my PB is 10,144.
    Taking a purely defensive stance over what may be a toy but is a toy I enjoy playing with, what is it about it that means the author “can’t believe they make it”?