Wonders Never Cease

It’s jaw-dropping to see Intel produce a microprocessor which runs on solar power.

Like a swimming cat, a waltzing penguin or a dog delivering a sermon.

It’s unnatural for the company which, for 40 years, has epitomised speed, performance and Mega-Watts of power dissipation.

However it’s a good prop for the marketing-fest which the Intel Developer Forum has become.

Intel really wants to be seen as cool – able to make low-power chips – but will a solar-powered processor do the trick?

I don’t think so.

But it goes to show there’s always something new under the sun.

Tags: microprocessor

1. Mr Cynical
    September 21, 2011 10:19
  2. Mr Cynical
    September 21, 2011 10:10
    September 21, 2011 02:18

@Mr Cynical : out of interest what discount did you get from the water company ? This sounds rather interesting with a far better ROI than any solar panel or hydroelectric scheme, even one that breaks the first law of thermodynamics like the aqua panel.

4. Batman
    September 20, 2011 19:06

What do you know, I stay away for a day and see what my comment started… how can they say people have no longer interest in engineering. Mr M, no need for VC, although a native European I live in the US, I just need to get a loan guarantee from the government and we are in business. Oh, wait… but then you end up at a congressional hearing. Never mind, you can see I can’t match Ed’s cunning ability.

5. Mr Cynical
    September 20, 2011 17:12

Dr Bob you should live here in Dorset, I have declared that my roof drains into two soak aways, the local water company give me a discount. Mind you I don’t know who owns the water I collect, or infact what to do with it yet.
    Maybe I can charge them for storage?

6. Dr Bob
    September 20, 2011 16:56

Actually it stems from a case several years ago when a carrot grower in East Anglia tried to save costs on washing carrots by saving rainwater. It did save water and hence costs which the water board duly noted and then charged the grower for usage of ‘their’ water.

September 20, 2011 16:37

It take it, Dr Bob, that this is the considered advice of your legal advisers Messrs Sue Grabbit and Runne.

8. Dr Bob
    September 20, 2011 16:31

Sorry to put a damper on all your schemes but the water boards all insist that any water falling onto your roof is their property and so will claim any financial benefit from said water falling on the roof.

September 20, 2011 15:30

Sorry Mr C, I thought Batman was helping you on the apps side. But if you can put all this mundane stuff out to the Bangaloreans so much the better.

10. Mr Cynical
    September 20, 2011 15:17

Are you not forgetting Mr M this it’s my idea, the engineering is just a sideshow.

September 20, 2011 14:06

Now you’re talking, RobertI, this thing is going to fly big-time. What you and Batman need to do now is persuade an analyst to write a White Paper saying MEMs-based Aqua Panels are going to be a $1 billion market in 2015 and you’ll be able to raise $100 million from a VC to start development.

12. RobertI
    September 20, 2011 11:49

And if they are mounted on a roof, you should be able to get some more energy from a turbine in the drainage pipe.

13. Mr Cynical
    September 20, 2011 10:37

Please note Batman I claim the copyright for aqua panels, I shall just lie low now for a few years, then when Apple or Intel re-invent them and sell them into the market before I open my lawsuit.
    I think I might make the 24 mill before Ed?

September 19, 2011 18:59

You’ve solved the UK’s energy problems, Batman

15. Batman
    September 19, 2011 18:53

A MEMS panel able to convert the impact energy of raindrops into electrical current. Now that’s a new approach to energy harvesting :-)

16. Mr Cynical
    September 19, 2011 13:17

As I keep telling my friends in the solar industry for the UK we need “Aqua Panels” not solar

17. Torben Mogensen
    September 19, 2011 09:38

It is not hard to power a processor with solar power if you have a large enough solar panel, so I find Intel’s announcement an over-hyped gimmick.