The richest 1% own half the world’s assets, says the 2015 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, and the richest 10% own 88%. In other words the top 1% have more wealth than the other 99% of the world’s populstion. To be in the top 1% you have to have $760k in assets minus debts and to be in the ...
Democracy and Standards
They say that, at 800, the House of Lords has too many peers. Well now there’s a simple way to trim it. The precedent has been established that a Lord who has sex with a prostitute has to resign. Hands up all you Lords who’ve had sex with a prossie? Oh. That many? Well that reduces the numbers by 300. ...
The EC has unveiled its plan for a Digital Single Market. It is built on three pillars:
The Prime Minister of Italy, Matteo Renzi, appears to have ratted on his promise to reinstate sacked Micron by Christmas.
The Apple CEO says he is ‘deeply offended’ by the BBC’s programme about working conditions at Apple sub-contractors.
The ugly spat in which Micron Technology planned to sack 419 ex-STMicroelectronics Italian research staff who were transferred to Micron with the Numonyx sale, has resurfaced with strike action planned at three Micron sites.
Sony is talking about buying Renesas’ Tsuruoka fab to make CMOS image sensors, reports Japan’s Nikkei newspaper.
The US Judge in the Oracle-Google case has alighted on a potential can of worms by ordering the parties to divulge the names of news-sites and bloggers to whom they’d paid money.
The Norwegians could scupper Facebook’s attempt to create the greatest-ever handset app – the ability to hold up a smartphone camera to a face in the street or a room or a crowd and have the device recognize that face and give the biographical details associated with it.
STMicroelectronics has responded to the formation of a group of shareholders who are unhappy about receiving their voting papers for the AGM late and about certain corporate emoluments.