Are Architects Assholes?

The nicest building in Croydon was built in 1596. It exudes tranquillity.

I pass it on my way to the office and it always lifts my spirits.

No other building in Croydon does this.

So, either there haven’t been any decent architects operating in Croydon since 1596 or, as I suspect the architects would argue, the guys who commission buildings don’t appreciate nice buildings.

The nicest building in Croydon was commissioned by the then Archbishop of Canterbury.

Maybe the commissioning of public buildings, and even the local authority approval process for private buildings, should be put under the control of the present Archbishop.

After all, he’s in charge of our spiritual health and having nice buildings contributes to that.

Tags: archbishop of canterbury, architects, croydon, spirits, spiritual health

Related posts

1. Robtronics
    December 04, 2012 15:43

I thought you meant system architects before I read the piece and was about to protest. Some are born and some become but most I have worked with had it thrust upon them. All decent chaps, hardly an arsehole between them.

November 29, 2012 09:57

Well actually, peterchesham, Croydon Council did try to knock it down as part of a road widening scheme, and the House of Lords stopped them doing it.

3. November 28, 2012 17:50

Equally you could argue that we’ve had 400 years to knock down the rubbish that was put up in 1596 – so we’re left with the one really decent building. Anyone a Darwinian?

4. SecretEuroPatentAgentMan
    November 28, 2012 12:37

No places can compare to Coventry in terms of class and architecture to the extent either exists. The fact that the local university denies its address by calling itself the University of Warwick is merely one indicator of something being very very wrong.
    “What Hitler started the architects completed” is a classic description. The worst I heard was “Best viewed through the rear view mirror of a speeding car”.

5. RobertI
    November 28, 2012 11:14

My already low opinion of architects was further reduced when the project team of which I was then a member moved into Thale’s shiny new buildings in Crawley. The first problem was that the essential-for-security-reasons partitions destroyed the natural airflow that the architects had designed – perhaps the fault of the person(s) who instructed them. Second was that the toilet cubicle doors would unlock themselves. And I found the exterior design rather depressing to look at. The crumbling old building that we used to have was better to work in, IMHO, because it been humanised over the decades.

6. Stooriefit
    November 27, 2012 16:38

I don’t think they are assholes.
    I think they are arseholes. If you don’t say it that way the old Mike Harding joke doesn’t make sense…

7. Anonymous
    November 27, 2012 16:30

First time I read it I thought you wrote 1956 and was thinking Gatwick Airport !

November 27, 2012 15:10