My Bosses, by Pasquale Pistorio

“I’ve learnt a lot from all my bosses,” says Pasquale Pistorio, founding CEO of STMicroelectronics, “Bob Heikes was one of the greatest strategists I ever met and a visionary. I learned the importance of delegating from him, and how to match your dream with practical problems. Bob was an excellent boss and he probably had the greatest influence on me. Many people who worked for Bob did well in their careers later on.”

“In the States I always respected Tom Connors – he was never my boss direct, he was always a little bit higher – but I was always very close to Tom. Eventually, when I became the international general manager in the US, John Welty was my boss and I also respected him a lot.”

“All my experiences with my bosses in Motorola were good. My first boss was Dedy Saban – one of the most hard-driving people, very aggressive and very friendly. He taught me to be determined, to be persistent, to be hard-driving. Dedy went to Fairchild and, many years later when I was general manager, I hired back Dedy. So I worked for Dedy and he worked for me. We had tremendous respect for eachother. As both a boss and a subordinate the rapport was always outstanding.”

“Then when I was regional manager for Italy between 1968 and 1970, my boss was Jim Finke – the marketing manager for Europe. Again he was a great boss for me. He was a great strategist, liked Europe very much, he was very sensitive to the cultural differences in Europe and the richness of the culture, he was very well educated. He taught me the importance of cultural value and how to maximise these differences and how to cope with the American culture.”

Asked if the American company culture come as a shock, Pistorio looks surprised. “For me? No. I fit very well in the American culture, I found it very easy, and I think my American colleagues found me very easy. I’m a very basic person, and I think Americans are basic people and like basic people – they think that if you are performing, you are a good man; that if you are not performing you are no good. I am the same. So I think it was an easy fit.”

Does he really see himself as basic? “I’m a little bit more than basic”, laughs Pasquale “but I think the basics are very important. I think values like honouring what you commit to do, not changing your mind, being at ease with yourself, having business integrity in the broad sense are essential. I value these things in the American culture, and they are values which I have been adopting myself all my life.”

“My 17 years at Motorola were very good. They taught me a lot. I learnt to be a manager coping with the human side of the Italian environment and the European environment, while also coping with the American rigour of business practicality. And this, in the end, is my managerial style – marrying American rigour with a good sensibility for people.”

Tags: eachother, marketing manager

1. Anonymous
    February 26, 2013 14:47

Try Neçip Sayinor, ex CEO of Silicon Labs , to run ST.

2. Anonymous
    February 26, 2013 14:43

As Grillo has excluded himself from being Prime Minister lets get him to cut his teeth on ST. He can try his plan for Italy on ST.

February 21, 2013 09:26

Sounds like a plan, ST employees

February 21, 2013 09:21

Brilliant idea, Anonymous.

5. Anonymous
    February 21, 2013 07:55

I think they should increase Bozotti’s bonus and salary to get him to work a bit harder…

6. ST employees
    February 21, 2013 05:04

David, the MEMS guy may be capable but the guy is extremely arrogant (that is mildly put it) and unethical. Chery does not have what it takes and he is lucky he still got a job. They really needs to clean house to get this company going again, not just survive on oxygen
    Actions:
    1.Exit 300 guys at the Top = Simplification/ better efficiency/strong message to others.
    2.Exit Steve & D . Lombard from the Board = end of their unproductive fights
    3.Entering PP = Executive chairman for Max 2 years, focused on Customers + products + Select/prepare a new CEO.

February 20, 2013 14:13

Absolutely Jack of Trade, logically it should be the MEMS guy or M. Chery or someone else running a successful, technically aggressive operation at ST. But the Byzantine, Machiavellian machinations of dual-Nationality political control may dispense with logic and result in the appointment of a nonentity who looks good in a suit.

8. Jack of trade
    February 20, 2013 12:44

Agree that Boz Carlotti should leave along with all the chronies.
    The next one i see to go up should be from someone who leads the uprising biz inside ST currently.

February 20, 2013 09:46

Well Yes, NoI, Bozotti comes across as personally very charming but what he says is content-free.

10. Nol
    February 20, 2013 08:14

Gentlemen, if Berlusconi gets elected there is no plan that could save ST. I’ve been there when he was elected in 2008. Engineers and managers in the R&D office I worked in almost ceased to cooperate due to daily disputes on what some called ‘BBB’ – Bloody Bastard Berlusconi. Fast forward a couple of years and look where they are now. A populist will always remain a populist, and will support populists, pop stars that will shine on public display, but fail to do anything. Now look at Bozotti and ask yourself if he fits that picture. Of course he does.

February 19, 2013 23:33

A fair enough comment, but who would you put in charge then ?

February 19, 2013 20:00

Yes, come on [Anonymous] tell us what the answer is then

13. Anonymous
    February 19, 2013 18:43

ST has a Board of Directors that should also be retired and highlights the issues facing France and Italy in today’s world. ST is a quasi state company and Bozotti would have been shown the door years ago in a normal company with an independent Board. Pastorio returning is not the answer.

February 19, 2013 17:58

So what do you think STM needs Anonymous ?

February 19, 2013 16:37

How right you are [Anonymous] the world has moved on but not, it seems, ST.

16. Anonymous
    February 19, 2013 13:25

Another group of old timers, clinging on to their past achievements is not what ST needs. The world has moved on since then.

February 19, 2013 11:04

I’ve heard on the grapevine, STEmployees, that PP would be up for it if tge sharehokders wanted it. I’m sure the old team would rally round.

18. ST employees
    February 18, 2013 22:36

Pasquale is back urgently, with few of early Team, for 2 years maximum to put us back to focus on what really mattered: Customers & Products,
    Grazie”