Pigs Can Fly

Which headline amazes you most?

‘Congress puts country before party’

‘Simon Cowell gives all his money to charity’

‘Mobile operator gives up roaming charges’

The gob-smacking news in The New York Times this morning is that T-Mobile is to abolish its roaming charges.

T-Mobile’s new roaming charges:

Data: Unlimited and free.

Texts: Unlimited and free.

Calls: 20 cents a minute.

T-Mobile customers get this automatically without having to sign up for it.

“T-Mobile’s CMO refers to “these bloated 90 percent profit margins” for rosming charges.

You could knock me down with a feather.

Maybe pigs really can fly.

1. Lefty Goldblatt
    October 18, 2013 11:32

It’s a cartel isn’t it? So they all need to agree to stop shafting consumers?
    If they do it will be great – people will start using their fancy phones more liberally – in the long run it could provide more revenue for the telcos.

2. david manners
    October 18, 2013 13:11

Well Yes, Lefty, I’ve been in the US for a week and my data roaming switch has been off all the time. So the telco gets zilch. If they’d been prepared to take say £25 off me for data roaming I’d happily have paid it. But I’m not going to pay the telcos’ crazy charges. And for calls I have a cheap US PAYG phone so, again, my UK telco gets nothing from me while I’m here. So Yes, I think T-Mobile’s move, if followed by the others, could generate more operator revenue

3. Terry
    October 18, 2013 11:32

Remarkable news David, and most welcome. Next thing you’ll be telling me that Tony Blair’s started telling the truth.

4. david manners
    October 18, 2013 13:00

Ha Ha, Terry, now you’re getting silly!

October 18, 2013 09:35

Probably with a special “only in London” tariff just like their 4G rollout !!!

October 17, 2013 18:49

Since Orange and the other lot merged into EE you can’t get a signal at home so what chance have you abroad. Free ‘no signal’ is not actually any good to anyone.

7. david manners
    October 17, 2013 20:05

But it’s a jolly good example Mike. The others will have to follow.