Top Ten Android Tablets

I didn’t realise there were ten Android tablets let alone a top ten but here, thanks to the Register, is a list of the top ten Android tablets.

Acer Iconia

Asus Eee Slider

Asus Eee Transformer

HTC Flyer

Lenovo ThinkPad

LG Optimus Pad

Motorola Xoom

Samsung Galaxy Tab

Sony Tablet S

Toshiba AT100

Tags: android, lenovo thinkpad, motorola, samsung, xoom

1. efex
    January 17, 2012 20:21

Ainol`s NOVO7 should be shaking up the Android Tablet market. Everyone should be asking why Android 4 is able to run on a $100 tablet and why everyone else is only launching android 4 on only the highest spec tablets… As there now seems no reason…

2. Stooriefit
    January 15, 2012 18:21

I think the difference will make itself felt over the life of the product.
    Our 6 year old philips LCD started to show odd colour differences between the top and bottom of the screen. Apparently this is common to all CCF tellies – gravity gets the better of something in the back light.
    I have hopes that the Samsung telly we replaced it with, and its LED backlight, will stay uniform for longer.
    The Philips is still good enough for when I’m banished to watch “Y Clwb Rygbi” on the spare telly because “Location Location Location” or some other such nonsense is required viewing for SHMBO.

January 15, 2012 00:08

@Sceptic : I think I have the same model !! I keep putting off getting a new one as there is always something better coming next week for less cost.

4. Sceptic
    January 13, 2012 17:21

I’ve still got a 4:3 aspect 26″ CRT telly. Am I ideally suited to a job in this techno-crazed world or should I rethink may career path towards market gardening.. ?
    Sceppers
    PS It’s got 2 SCART inputs though and it’s Philips.

January 05, 2012 22:35

I think you need to go and look at the latest Samsung D65 series David – it is noticeably superior to the older D55 series. Let’s hope LG or someone else can come up with a product to match.

January 05, 2012 12:16

Yes, Dr Bob, but everyone calls them LED TVs and the manufacturers put that on the box. And, IMHO, the end result doesn’t support the bally-hoo

7. Dr Bob
    January 05, 2012 09:41

Err David. They are the same, the screen is LCD in both cases, the difference is in the backlght. For the older ones it is cold cathode fluorescent and in the LED type it is LED. The supposed improvement is that the backlight can be modulated over the screen area with the LED type whereas the CCF can only adjust brightness across the entire screen.
    OLED screens are different but are limited in size.

8. Tony Morris
    January 05, 2012 09:18

What a £100 tablet will feel like depends on your definitions, Mike. But even if it was only 50% as good as the market leader, it’d cost about a sixth of the price (so now affordable to the majority) and run the predominant powerful OS – where’s the problem? Surely a range of compatible products is better than being force-fed one really expensive one? The really expensive one will still be there, although their prices and specs don’t improve much over time.
    I personally didn’t get one as I’ve got a phone with a nice 4.3″ PDF-A$-readable screen. There’s not a good enough reason for me to spend even £100 yet.
    But I’d say each to their own and let’s enjoy that there’s choice, live and let live, yay peace and all that :-D

January 04, 2012 14:39

Terri bought an LED Telly and says she can’t see any difference between that and the old LCD one.

January 04, 2012 14:10

Unfortunately the £100 tablets feel like …. £100 tablets. The Kindle is a really nicely made machine.
    And the 4 million sales were just into US I believe. Not sure when it’s reaching RoW.
    Regarding dropping costs, I’m still hesitating on a new LED TV or not. They’re £100 cheaper than last year and look better but still not sure where the base price is.

January 04, 2012 12:14

He who hesitates beats the cost, Al

January 04, 2012 12:09

Good point, Mike, I see it shipped 4 million units in Q4 which should be enough to get it into the Top T en Android tablets. The Reg must have missed it.

13. Alun Williams - Electronics Weekly.com
    January 04, 2012 11:25

Exactly, Tony! That’s me, too

14. Tony Morris
    January 04, 2012 11:24

Looks like more users think Android is always worth having than not…unless one particularly likes setting fire to banknotes just to get brand names, Mike :-)

January 04, 2012 10:22

Where’s the Kindle Fire, possibly the only Android tablet worth having.

16. Tony Morris
    January 04, 2012 09:20

There are an awful lot of them out there, David. Few have the all-round polish of the iPad 1/2 but they cost a lot less, the low end dramatically so. You can buy a basic 7″ tablet for web browsing, apps and streaming music off your PC for under £100.
    I weighed up a £60 one over Christmas but I think I’ll wait for it all to settle down and some good value winners to emerge. Good thing about indecision and electronics – while you’re stalling, the prices are usually dropping :-)