Wind River has added an automotive element to its Android software portfolio. The software is designed to help in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) device makers develop Android-based IVI systems.
The “Wind River Solution Accelerator for Android, Automotive” is the latest addition to the company’s Accelerator for Android series, and is intended to help shorten the development times. Key features of the Automotive-oriented software include:
- enablement of iPod/iPhone/iPad docking for multimedia capabilities,
- a customisable user interface that can be modified by the consumer, and
- FM radio capabilities.
“The addition of the automotive software builds on Wind River’s efforts to develop Android components to serve specialized technology and vertical market needs,” said the company in a statement.
Wind River also says its professional services provide additional automotive capabilities:
- hyperboot to reduce boot time of an IVI system,
- firmware management delivering updates to Android devices supporting both online and offline update methods, and
- Bluetooth IVI extensions to control personal phones via the in-vehicle centre console.
“Android’s capability for rapid innovation has made it a popular platform option for many industries such as automotive. Consumers increasingly expect connectivity and rich user experiences regardless of where they are, including in the car,” said Chris Buerger, senior director of product management at Wind River.
“Wind River helps customers overcome the complexities of bringing Android into an automotive environment and rapidly develop devices that deliver a rich, connected experience. Wind River has the ideal mix of decades of embedded device experience, successful Android technologies and deep vertical industry knowledge and relationships.”
More information about Wind River Solution Accelerator for Android, Automotive >>