Fastest growing IC markets 2012
Wired telecom is the hot market this year, says IC Insights followed by wireless, consumer, and automotive.
The fastest growing chip markets 2012 are:
1. Wired Telecoms – app specific analogue
2. Wired telecom – special purpose logic/MPR
3. Wireless telecom – special purpose logic/MPR
4. Consumer – special purpose logic/MPR
5. Auto – special purpose logic/MPR
7. 32bit MCU
8. Display drivers
9. Industrial and other – special purpose logic/MPR
10. Application-specific processors used in smartphones and tablet computers are included in the Wireless Telecom—Special Purpose Logic/MPR category, and represent the driving force behind the strong growth in this segment.
Also within the Special Purpose Logic/MPR segment, the Consumer and Industrial & Other categories are forecast to show positive growth this year.
Display drivers are forecast to make a return to the top-growth list in 2012 with 2% growth. Demand for smartphones, the surging popularity of tablet computers, and potential market growth from new ultra-thin notebook computers are helping boost sales of display drivers this year.
It is not surprising to see that NAND flash appears among the top-10 fastest growing products all three years, though the rate of growth in this market has slowed considerably over this time as additional manufacturers jumped into this space and added extra capacity, which contributed to lower average selling prices in 2011 and so far in 2012.
The automotive market is responsible for only about 7% of total IC sales, but increasing electronic system content in motor vehicles is forecast to result in the Automotive—Special Purpose Logic/MPR segment being included among the list of fastest-growing IC products all three years, as well. Similarly, advanced automotive applications such as self-park systems, stability control, and collision avoidance, have been key to fast growth of the 32-bit MCU category and will contribute to these devices being among the fastest-growing products from 2010-2012.