BT gets mobile go ahead from the government

BT gets mobile go ahead from the government
Melanie Reynolds
BT has been given a green light to become a fully fledged mobile phone operator. The Department of Trade and Industry has lifted restrictions giving BT the right to bid for one of the UMTS third generation mobile phone licences to be auctioned later this year.
“Yes, we’ll be going for a UMTS licence,” confirmed a BT spokesman. “Whether we do it on our own or with Cellnet, that’s got to be decided.”
BT can now bid in its own right for a licence, or as part of mobile phone operator Cellnet in which it has a 60 per cent stake. It could even buy the remaining 40 per cent of Cellnet from Securicor as a result of the government lifting that restriction too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *