Greer sharpens focus on technical sales at 2001

Greer sharpens focus on technical sales at 2001
Richard Wilson 2001 Electronic Components managing director Roy Greer has put in place more focused technical sales and marketing activities following this month’s management buy-out at the SEI/Diploma subsidiary. In the months running up to the buy-out Greer more than halved the distributor’s number of franchises leaving 2001 with 15 lines, with an emphasis on semiconductor products that require a technical sell. “We’ve dropped 20 lines and sales are up,” Greer told Electronics Weekly. “That is clear evidence of how well concentrated distribution works.” Greer and his fellow shareholders will hold 85 per cent of the Stevenage-based company, leaving SEI/Diploma with a 15 per cent interest. Greer says that some business links with Diploma’s broadline distributor Macro will remain. “Our sales staff will work with Macro sales staff,” said Greer, who sees benefits in combining the broadline strengths of Macro for many commodity products with the dedicated technical sale for 2001’s lines. “I expect most of our customers will have accounts with Macro and Arrow – that’s fine,” added Greer. Greer has retained major semiconductor lines like Maxim, Texas Instruments, Elantec, Sharp, Samsung and Zetex. There are also electromechanical lines like Teledyne relays. Samsung is particularly exciting says Greer, who pointed out that while he will not major on Samsung’s DRAM lines, they will sell DRAM on request. But he says the technical focus will be their fast SRAMs and analogue products. “Samsung want us to market what is in effect a brand new set of products in the UK,” said Greer. Greer has not ruled out another new line or two. “Maybe one or two as the year goes on, but it is not an overpowering intention right now,” he added.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*